Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Training...Day 7

Post bath wipe down!
It was bath day for Charlie!  Lorrie wanted him to be fresh and clean for me because tomorrow night he will be staying with me for good!!  At UDS Headquarters they have a nice little doggie bath where he was able to climb up a ramp, load into a tub, and get safely secured so he didn't go anywhere.  Lorrie used a spray bottle that had watered-down soap in it.  She could spray it on a wet Charlie so that the soap wouldn't go on in globs and therefore be hard to spread around and then wash off.  She could just spray and rub the specific areas.  After she got him all nice and clean he enjoyed a towel rubdown.  Next, his least favorite part, was the blow dryer (which looked like a giant vacuum).  We were able to get him dried with that thing in no time!  After being nice and cleaned up he got his new collar put on and a chance to rest while we went over a lecture.

Charlie waiting patiently on stage.
Next on the agenda was taking Charlie to my church.  I spend a great deal of time there (once a month I teach grades 1-4 three services in a row) and even have one of my power chairs there.  We thought it would be great to have more practice in my power chair as well as getting Charlie familiar with the church.  We got there and had lunch first.  Charlie got to meet Pastor Sam and show off his skills- he once again paid for my lunch all by himself (took my credit card from me, put his front paws on the counter, and gave it to the cashier).  After lunch we did a lot of exploring and maneuvering throughout the building... we did some weaving, backwards walking, ups, circles, going through doors, etc.  I brought him through the classrooms to let him check things out and become familiar with the smells.  We also went into the kids' auditorium (where I teach) and did some retrieval skills (he sat and waited on stage while I went to the back of the room and then called for him to come to me) as well as some "find me" where he sat in a spot where he couldn't see me and then I would hide and call him and he would run out and find me.  After that we went back into the hallway where I would make him stay while I would zoom off and go far distances and then make him find me.  I love his enthusiasm- every time he'd come running for me as fast as he could and then slide to a stop right in front of me!

We ended the day with a final lecture on public safety and such.  Tomorrow morning Charlie will be dropped off at my house and stay with me all by himself... can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment