Thursday, January 24, 2013

No Trainer Today!

Charlie dressed and waiting to head out.
This morning Charlie arrived while I was still in my pajamas.  He was finally here to stay!  We went over a few last things with Lorrie and then she left with a tissue in hand.  Charlie settled right in.  He joined me for my morning coffee and seemed a-okay to be here.  Every day he is to spend some time in his crate (so that he feels safe and familiar in it in case I would need to go away or be in the hospital for a period of time) so while I showered he was in there...I kept asking my mom if he was whining and the answer was always no.  A very good sign.  After that he got dressed (put on his vest and gentle leader) and off we went on our errands.  He did awesome in the van- when I said "car" he jumped right in and laid down between the seats. 

We stopped at the carpet place to pick up some carpets (can you believe it!?), went through the Dunkin drive through where he poked his head through as if to say he'd like some coffee, and then stopped at the Stock Shop in Mountville to look at some furniture for my new house. 
My mom was nervous to have him in there because of all the glass and lamps and such in the area of his tail.  BUT he didn't break a single thing.  I had him in a down stay in the room we were in just to avoid that possibility.  The mall was next.  I had to get my hair trimmed and in the salon I did another down stay with him in the waiting area (but where he could still see me) and he didn't get up once.  After that we went around the mall to pick up a few things and we practiced "carry" (his water bowl for work), "take it" "up" "drop it" (a slobbery tissue I had him throw away), lots of down stays in different stores, an attempt to "carry" a plastic bag, and a test of dropping food right in front of his face and him leaving it.  We had lunch with another consumer and her beautiful lab and the trainers of UDS (Kristy & Lorrie).  Once we were done at the mall we headed home to un-vest and relax.  Tonight will be his first night here and then we are off to work bright and early to catch the 7am bus, keep us in your prayers!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment