Monday, January 21, 2013

Training...Day 3

And we are off to another productive day.  It involved lectures on resistance and innate behaviors, going through another set of commands, a visit to the vet, out to eat at a restaurant, practicing commands, and ending the day with some play time.  Gia, my almost 3 years old niece, joined in on the play time and loved being able to throw a ball and have Charlie retrieve it (our old chihuahua, Manu, is petrified of ball or any toy so it was a whole new experience for Gia to play with a dog).  I love seeing how much fun Charlie can have and still maintain control of his size- never a rough moment or fear of him toppling me (or Gia) over.  He is truly a sweet soul.  I love how he watches me- this is his way of checking in to make sure I am okay and that he is doing what he is told.

There were quite a few challenges today as well and I am learning how to deal with them and assert myself as the pack leader (despite my size).  There are many tactics and think-ology that I need to practice and utilize so that he trusts me to be that dominant figure.  It's a huge learning curve, but I am surrounded by some great teachers and lots of support to turn to.  This whole process is teaching me a lot and although I am on overload, I still feel rested and have a peace that passes all understanding.  What a great feeling!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment