Monday, January 21, 2013

Training...Day 4

First week of training is complete! I go back to work tomorrow.  BUT I have off Monday-Thursday for more training (and this time outside of the UDS Headquarters).

Today we did a recap of all that was learned and worked on the command list hands on.  You should see Charlie do his "over"- a graceful jumping over an object that is unbelievable for his size.  He continued to perform his "speak" with a simple click of my tongue.  We also traveled all over the UDS Headquarters to practice pushing the door opening buttons, visiting people in a calm way, and traveling at different speeds (I am pretty sure Lorrie was running and pushing me at the same time at one point!).

After a long day of hands on training and a lecture squeezed in Charlie and I were able to let loose.  I un-vested him and took off his halter and leash and we played with a few toys that he found complete pleasure in (slobbery tennis ball and some sort of once-stuffed animal).  After he grew tired of that I was able to rub his belly a bit and let him relax after all his hard work.

We were able to end the day with an incredible gift- the Williams family (they raised Charlie from a puppy to 18 months) came in and had a ginormous care package waiting for us!! It had everything I would need to get started with Charlie, including a crate, bed, leash, collar, treats, toys, a 40-lb bag of food, and so much more!  They were even so thoughtful as to load me up with hand sanitizer and an Etown Alumni shirt (go Blue Jays!).  I can't even begin to thank them enough for bringing Charlie this far and being so considerate of me and my needs now that Charlie will be a major part of my life.  It's such a sacrifice that they given to do what they do and I am forever grateful (love you guys!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment